Wednesday 16 December 2015

Test strategy

Over the past few months I've been working on a test strategy at work, some foundations for doing better testing, it's been a lot of work but I'm slowing getting there.
There's been a lot of re education, and educating from the start for a variety of levels of people across the business.
yesterday was, in my mind a break through, It's been agreed in principal, and will be used on one of the largest projects we have done at work. 
How did i get to this point?
A lot of conversations, me learning enough about all the elements that I could answer any question, and debate any point with any person. repeating myself, in a variety of meeting with the same people. Having confidence in what i'm doing helps as well, the fact I truly believe that this is the right thing for us really help, I think at times it overwhelms my restraint and I can get a bit pushy with it, I do try to reign it in though.
So where am I know with it, I have a strategy doc, it needs a bit of additional detail around the edges, but we are moving forwards with it, and in the new year we will begin the implementation of it for the project, Really looking forward to that.
If you believe you can help the quality of testing where you work, you can make a difference, it takes passion, and patience, you have to be prepared and able to explain any part of context driven testing, at a multitude of levels, to a variety of people. If you can do this, you can slowly bring them around to seeing the benefits of doing it. You have to be aware of your work places particular worries, and hang ups, so you can address those in detail, and with confidence, if you don't sound like you know it's going to work, and be an improvement, you are not going to convince anyone else either.
Make sure it rests on a base of solid detail and fact, with actionable processes that satisfy your works needs. I started with the Dev team leader nearly a year ago, why him? because I have a good working relationship with him, and his opinions are well respected by the heads of IT, so when I got him on board I had a powerful ally. You don't have to start with the main decision maker, its often easier to start with those that surround them, and slowly work your way along, addressing worries, providing details, and example, showing how it could work for you.
If they say no, find out why, understand what's behind that, go away and understand that, and how you can address it. Its an achievable goal, you just need to make that first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment