Wednesday 27 January 2016

Testing mind set

I started writing this blog as a place to record my growth within software testing, as my understanding evolves I wanted somewhere I could go to to write about it, and a place to reflect back on where I have come from.
So a little recap, I work for a company that changes in-house software, and we need to make sure that it still works on its own and with the other software we have. I've been part of this for a number of years, to varying degrees of involvement. Recently I started full time in IT as a tester, my starting point was, if I'm getting paid to do this I'd better get good at it. And thus began my journey into real testing.
I recently finished the BBST foundation course, it was awesome, I'm now putting together a business case to get me on the others, that and the rapid software testing course. That might take a bit more doing.
All of this has been fantastic in helping me grow, it isn't the epiphany, though. I'd recently read James Bach's integration question and the many conversations that followed. Shortly after that, I was watching some lectures on youtube, and I watched one on the Socratic method as part of some work I'm doing on putting together a coaching/mentoring model. And there it was, I could see Jame's use of the Socratic method in so much of what had been written, I can see how this can be applied to help me gain a much greater understanding in my own work. I can use this to challenge what I think I understand and grow from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment